Wow! It is crazy how fast time flies. It feels like we were just putting away our holiday decor back into storage, and it is already time to think about how we will be decorating this holiday season. Some of the biggest challenges our clients face during the holidays is figuring out how to display their decorations around their existing decor, make updates to their collections, and keep up with current holiday trends. If you find yourself fitting into one of these scenarios, read along to catch some tips, see a clients home we decorated, and find some new decor that may be the perfect addition to your home!
Last year, we had a repeat client reach out to us to decorate her home for the holidays. A service we were more than happy to schedule! We took note of the items she already had, got a list of wants to search for while shopping, and then presented a client with a design that she loved! We brought everything she purchased and installed the design all in one day!
Check out our list on ways to enhance your holiday decor:
- Instead of a traditional star tree topper, opt for some decorative stems that will add to your colors scheme. We love this trick because when working with a large tree, a smaller star topper can sometimes get lost. In this case, we used teal and silver colored sprigs to make the top of the tree a focal point and bring your eye up.
- When it comes to hanging your stockings, add some decorative elements to the hanging loop. We used some navy blue ribbon to tie in the stocking with the rest of the design. This small and inexpensive touch was the perfect detail to enhance the mantel!
- When using garland, make sure to add in decorative elements that match the rest of your decor. In this project we started with a fairly bare stretch of garland. We added coordinating stems, ornaments, and lights to bulk up the piece but also tie it into the rest of the decor.
- When decorating shelves we always stick to a few rules: groups of three, create visual balance, and create color balance. We selected new items with scale and color in mind, to incorporate into some existing family items. Remember when decorating shelves, not every shelf needs to be full to have that finished look. Sometimes have a simple trio of decor is enough to make the space look complete.
- Our final tip is one that we love to use for larger islands or coffee table. In this particular home, we used a large cutting board from Target, and then added on some smaller garland pieces, small stems, and varying sized trees. We created a beautiful and filling piece of decor that the client can use as inspiration to decorate for other holidays!
Now, if you are on the search for new holiday decor, we have some favorite places we love to shop. If you are needing budget friendly, check out the holiday sections at Target, Hobby Lobby, and Home Goods. These stores are good about incorporating new holiday trends in their selections while keeping the number on the price tag low. While it is important to stay on a budget, especially around the holidays, if you are able to splurge on a few items that you can see yourself using for year to come, one of our favorite places to shop is Pottery Barn. They have some great greenery options that are very high quality and tons of timeless decor pieces!
Whether you decorate your home a lot for the holidays, or hardly at all, we hope you all have a safe and wonderful holiday season.
We hope that these holiday tips proved valuable for you, and we extend our warmest wishes for an incredible holiday season! Stay connected with us on all our social media channels @ELIZABETHERINDESIGNS to stay updated on more insights and updates.