Now’s the perfect time to make a list of all those summer-centric things you’ve wanted to do and get out there and do them! Whether it’s a camping trip, a picnic lunch as a family, or just riding your bike through the streets, now’s the time. When fall makes its crisp arrival, you’ll be satisfied with all the fun you had. If you are looking for inspiration for your adventures, check out this list of things to do before summer ends.
1. Visit a famers market! Go support over 300 local entrepreneurs, including farmers, producers, bakers and artists. Enjoy fresh produce, live music, baked goods, crafts, food trucks and more. There is one every Saturday through October, from 7 a.m. to Noon (8 a.m. – Noon in October) in the Historic Court District in Downtown Des Moines, Thursdays 4-8 pm May 5 through September 29 in The Valley Junction, Tuesday May 31 – October 11, 2022, from 3:30-6:30 p.m in Johnston, and there is also one in Beaverdale Tuesdays June 7th-September 13th from 4pm-7pm!
2. Go to an Iowa Cubs game! Baseball is often referred to as America’s favorite pastime! Why not buy some cheap seats and enjoy a few beers with your friends and family in the bleachers?
3. Go to an outdoor concert! 80/35 is returning this summer with a fun lineup and will be held downtown Des Moines Fri, Jul 7, 2023 – Sat, Jul 8, 2023. Hinterland is another great option with camping opportunities as well, held from Aug 4th-6th in St. Charles, IA!
If you’re looking for something a little bit more laid back try out the Jasper Winery summer concert series held every Thursday until Aug 3rd! Bring a blanket and find a spot on the grass to try some of their wine and relax!
4. Tackle a project that you have been putting off! Whether it’s cleaning out a room in your house or re-designing your patio, EED can help! Sign up for your complimentary consultation today https://elizabetherindesigns.com/contact/ to get started on tackling any pesky home projects you’ve been putting off!
5. Nothing says nostalgia like pulling up your car to a parking spot at the good old drive-in, but how many of us have actually attended? Drive-in movie theaters are seeing a resurgence in popularity and there are couple in Iowa including The Blue Grass Drive in Theater! Popcorn, a soda, and some candy with a movie under the stars is a great way to spend a summer night. Located at 774 W Mayne St, Blue Grass, IA 52726.
6. Go to a cultural festival! Try the Italian American Heritage Festival in July at the Sculpture Park Downtown! The festival offers excellent food, top-rated entertainment, and activities designed to involve attendees of all ages.
7. Go on an outdoor adventure! There are plenty of beautiful state parks in Iowa to explore!
Some of our favorites are Ledges, Pine Lake, Black Hawk, and Lake Keomah. You could pack a picnic and make the most out of it!
8. Don’t forget about the Iowa State Fair: Thu, Aug 10, 2023 – Sun, Aug 20, 2023. Even if you’ve been before, there are always new treats to try, great music, and kid friendly things to do!
9. Go to the blank Park Zoo! Set in a beautiful outdoor park setting, you’ll have the opportunity to experience wild animals in their natural habitat. Kid friendly 90% of the time, but if you are looking for some 21+ fun try Zoo Brew! You can walk around the zoo with a beverage in hand and enjoy what the zoo has to offer, plus live music! Zoo brew is on select Wednesdays in June through July.
10. One last thing to do this summer is relax! Lay out by a pool or lake, read a book in a hammock, plant flowers, go a sunset walk, or hang out with your friends and family!
We hope this list helps you get outside this summer and maybe try something you haven’t done before in our great state of Iowa!